Everyone loves having gadgets, and there are few ways that are better to spend the day than flying a drone. Whether it is just your hobby or something to do with the kids, seeing the world from a different perspective can help you truly appreciate all that is around you.
There are several different types of drones. Most people, when they think about drones, are thinking of large drones, but having the best mini drone ensures that you can have just as much fun. You can even enjoy maneuvering the drone around to do different things larger drones can’t do.
Whether you are a beginner or someone with experience flying drones, you can have a great amount of fun in the great outdoors and not spend a large amount of money. In fact, when you find the best micro drone, you will find that being in the outdoors is even more fun, as you get some great aerial photos and video to accompany your memories.
Mini drones and nano quadcopters come in all different designs and have a variety of prices. The good news is you don’t have to break the bank to get a great mini drone.
In fact, whether you use the drones for business (real estate agents are using drones to photograph property) or pleasure, the cost is actually quite affordable. The key is to know what you are getting, and therefore these mini drone reviews will help you find the right drone for your needs at a great price.
- Best Mini Drone 2020
- 1. Global Drone GW66 Mini RC Drones
- 2. Holy Stone HS150 – Great For Racing
- 3. Syma X21W – Plan Your Flight
- 4. Potensic A20 Quadcopter – Great For Learning
- 5. Tello Mini Drone – Big Results, Small Design
- 6. Altair AA108 – HD Fun Awaits
- 7. Hubsan X4 H107L – A Trusted Brand Delivers
- 8. DJI Spark – What Money Can Buy
- 9. DROCON Scouter – Ergonomic And Fun
- 10. Cheerson CX-10C – A Throw Makes It Go
- Buying Guide
Check out our thorough and honest reviews of the 10 best mini drones on the market.
Last update on 2020-10-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Mini Drone 2020
1. Global Drone GW66 Mini RC Drones
2. Holy Stone HS150
3. Syma X21W
4. Potensic A20 Quadcopter
5. Tello Mini Drone
6. Altair AA108
7. Hubsan X4 H107L
8. DJI Spark
9. DROCON Scouter
10. Cheerson CX-10C
There are some drones that are designed with the needs of a beginning pilot in mind. Whether you are looking to fly indoors or outside, this mini drone’s durability and easy one-button controls allow you to learn how to fly a drone before you get way ahead of yourself and have to deal with the results of a crash you didn’t see coming. As a gift for kids, there are few mini drones that are better on the market.
When using the Global Mini RC Drone, you’ll notice the buttons for the 360-degree rollovers are very tempting…And as you become a better pilot, you’ll be able to deploy this button with aplomb and amaze family and friends.
- Durability and settings allow you to bounce off walls without worrying about crash problems.
- 360-degree rollover button adds flair to flight.
- Different speed modes make playing a blast.
2. Holy Stone HS150 – Great For Racing
One of the best ways to have fun with small drones is to race them. Of course, with racing comes more opportunities to crash and ruin the mini drone, so you need a racing quadcopter that is extremely durable and can handle the high speeds needed for racing.
Fortunately, the Holy Stone mini drone offers everything you need for racing success, including durability.
There are two modular batteries that will give you double the flight time included in the box. When you break out this impressive mini drone, you will notice right away there are five different speeds. For the novice racing pilot, this is the ideal way to train yourself to navigate courses.
- Five different speeds allow you to learn how to race without the pressure of going fast on the first try.
- Multiple batteries included for double the racing time.
- Includes eight spare propellers to easily fix if there are crashes.
- Base model comes without a camera.
3. Syma X21W – Plan Your Flight
There are many things that allow this mini drone to work beautifully for both novice pilots and veterans. One of the most interesting features is the “flight plan” function. This is where you can create a route on the interface, and the mini drone automatically goes along that path—one example of a feature that helps novice pilots learn how to maneuver.
Another interesting feature is the SYMA GO app. This app includes the flight plan functionality, but it also helps you learn the different ins and outs of flying the mini drone. One thing that is enjoyable is the altitude hold and hover function.
- SYMA GO app is a one-stop shop for all of the controls to operate mini drone.
- Use flight plans and altitude stabilizers to make flight much more easy for novices.
- Camera is great for taking pictures of natural areas right around you.
4. Potensic A20 Quadcopter – Great For Learning
When you are looking for a drone that is durable and appropriate for all ages, this Potensic drone is ideal. It’s particularly good for families looking to make heading out into nature and flying a drone part of the fun routine.
You can also use this drone when flying indoors. Because the propellers have shrouds protecting them, you don’t need to worry about crashing the way you would with other mini drones. Though the price point is low, it is deceptive because there are a number of great features built into it.
There are three speed settings, and you can control altitude as well. The headless mode is an option on this mini drone too. Because there are a lot of safeguards built into this particular model, you can’t worry too much about the different pitfalls that come with learning how to fly a mini drone.
- Altitude control & headless mode
- 30-minute charging time
- Seven-minute flying time
- Includes extra propeller blades, USB cable
- Uses three AAA batteries for the transmitter
5. Tello Mini Drone – Big Results, Small Design
Having great components is a key to success with any item that is computerized, and the Tello mini drone is one of the best examples of this. With component parts from Intel and DJI, there are great software programs that allow these mini drones to fly with great effectiveness and responsiveness.
The lightweight and durable design of the mini drone ensures that you can have fun flying it without worrying too much about any damage that could come from a crash.
Though the mini drone is small, it’s a great way to get kids involved with the hobby. There are features like auto takeoff and landing which take the guesswork out of two of the most difficult things to do with a mini drone. There is also fail-safe protection, this is when your mini drone safely lands even when you lose power and connection with the controller.
There are several other software features built in that make sharing video incredibly easy. In fact, with this mini drone, it is very easy to stay connected to all things and memorialize all the fun you and your family have with it.
- There is a bundle that includes VR goggles, a spare battery, and a carrying case
- HD camera with five-megapixel and 720p
- 13-minute flight time
- Specialized tools for repair are included
6. Altair AA108 – HD Fun Awaits
Many people love to fly drones and mini drones because of their ability to take unmatched photos and video. Indeed, when looking at the world through the camera of a mini drone, you can see things quite differently than what you originally thought you were looking at.
The Altair camera has a wide angle 120-degree camera rated at 720p HD. Taking high definition pictures and video with this mini drone is not simply a possibility, it is a routine on every flight.
While it may seem difficult to pilot such a piece of equipment, the mini drone’s durability is perfectly suited for novice pilots. There are three different skill levels embedded into the controller. There is a takeoff button, and you can hover with altitude holding technology. With the ability to create your own flight plan, you can take all the guesswork out of navigation.
- 120-degree wide angle 720p HD Camera on board.
- One-button flight control and the ability to control flight path.
- Three skill levels set to beginner, intermediate, and expert.
- Altitude-holding technology allows hovering in place.
7. Hubsan X4 H107L – A Trusted Brand Delivers
Having a trusted brand when you buy anything is important, and mini drones are no exception. The reality is, brands are trusted because they have great marks on reliability and several other smart features.
In terms of mini drones, there are many top performers manufactured by Hubsan. The pilots who are most knowledgeable about flying mini drones are big fans of this particular model.
The crash pack is something quite useful for all folks (though it is a separate purchase) but most mini drone pilots marvel at this unit’s durability. This mini drone does not have a camera included, but the next model up has a very impressive HD camera.
- Optional crash pack helps fix mini drone if it crashes.
- Propeller protectors ensure that indoor flight doesn’t compromise mini drone.
- LED lighting illuminates areas for low flights.
8. DJI Spark – What Money Can Buy
Having a mini drone means that you are trying to be smart with your money, but if you have a larger budget then you can get some amazing features. This mini drone is one of those cases.
This mini allows you to do a lot of different things, including having one of the best cameras available and a long flight time. One of the biggest complaints that many drone pilots have is that pictures are not stable. This mini drone offers a dual axis gimbal that keeps the mini drone in a stable position while you take photos and video.
The camera itself is also quite powerful. With the ability to capture 12-megapixel photos and 1080p HD videos, it is just as impressive as cameras on smartphones.
The sport mode allows you to get up to speeds of roughly 30 mph. Navigating is easy thanks to GPS systems and vision capability, and the system that detects three dimensional obstructions keeps you from running into thing. With five different colors, there are options galore with this mini drone.
Some other features that make mini drone flight great include the Face-Aware system, which recognizes your face and assists in takeoff. Gesture Mode lets you use your hands and get the attention of the mini drone, and you can frame off pictures. Safe Landing is a system that takes the guesswork out of the hardest part of mini drone flight.
- GPS and visual navigation systems.
- Systems that assist with takeoff and landing via gestures.
- 12-megapixel camera includes 1080p HD video capability.
- 16-minute flight time
9. DROCON Scouter – Ergonomic And Fun
With the controller working as a case to carry the mini drone as well, you can be wildly efficient when taking your mini drone out into nature to take some amazing pictures and video.
You can use your smartphone for viewing of FPV transmissions, and with three different speed modes, you are in control of your learning curve on this mini drone. The LED searchlight in the front of the mini drone is perfect for night flying—you will see exactly where you are going.
Finally, when you use the altitude hold, along with one-button takeoff and headless mode, you’ll see how this mini drone makes flying easier. The one-touch function button ensures that your mini drone can spin and hover at the same altitude as well.
- Controller works as a carrying case, allowing easy transport the mini drone.
- Three speed modes allow you to gain proficiency at your own pace.
- Features like altitude lock and one-touch buttons make flying the drone easy.
- Includes propeller guards to help prevent crash damage.
10. Cheerson CX-10C – A Throw Makes It Go
That’s because the design of the Cheerson is to do exactly that – when you decide it’s time to fly, the “throw to fly” feature allows you to throw your quadcopter into the air and it will start flying. It doesn’t get more fun—or efficient—than that.
Finally, the six-axis gyro system is a big part of this mini drone’s appeal. It has a stable flight and a controller similar to those used on a video game.
You can work in three different modes: beginner, intermediate, and expert. This mini drone does just a bit of everything.
- Gamepad-style controller
- Three different flight setting modes
- 0.3-megapixel camera
- 15-minute charging time, five- to eight-minute flying time
- Requires two AAA batteries for transmitter
Now that we’ve looked at the different mini drones and all of their features, you probably have some more questions. The good news is that I am including answers to some of the most frequently asked questions here. As you learn more about the features and key points of mini drones in this buying guide,be sure to go back and check out the different mini drones again. You will notice that some make more sense for what you’re looking for than others.
Why Choose A Mini Drone Or Nano Quadcopter?
Some folks think that mini drones are only popular because they have a low price, but the truth is there is so much more to these smaller drones than just a nice price tag.
The advantage of this size is it’s easier to learn how to fly and maneuver a drone in a way that would be more clumsy with a larger drone. There are several features included with the mini drones that are similar to those on larger models. For example, if you like LED lights or HD cameras, you will find them on many different types of mini drones.
Also, part of learning about drones is crashing them, and with the low cost of mini drones and nano quadcopters, there won’t be a dispiriting feeling if the drone is broken after a crash. Finally, there are some buttons on controls that allow you to do stunts with your drone that you and your kids will enjoy.
What Are The Differences Between Drones And Mini Drones?
Besides size and price, there are several things that you should know about how mini drones are different from regular sized drones. The first thing is the manufacturing of these drones is advanced. By miniaturizing the technology, this allows parts to be reproduced at a higher rate which contributes to a lower cost.
Also, larger drones used to boast greater capabilities with cameras and batteries. The reality is, now many of the best mini drones have the same features such as impressive HD cameras and long-life battery options.
Tips For Mini Drones
It is important to know some tips before you start flying these drones. By listening to these tips, you will avoid some of the many different problems that afflict folks who are eager to fly drones and are new to the hobby.
When you avoid these mistakes, not only do you save money, but you have greater enjoyment of flying mini drones. Understanding that there are going to be bumps in the road is important, so follow these tips so you can have fun flying drones right away.
- Go easy on the throttle. Many new drone pilots are heavy on the throttle. The controls are extremely sensitive, and if you move the stick too sharply, this will cause you to lose control of the mini drone, possibly resulting in a crash.
- Practice before showing off. The temptation to do tricks (like flips) is immense, but you should refrain from doing that at first. Just because you read there is a way to do something doesn’t mean you should attempt it right away. Get very familiar with the controls before doing tricks. When you try to do tricks, leave a large margin for error.
- Understand that repairs are part of mini drones. Your mini drone will crash, and things will happen to it. This is a part of mini drone life. Be prepared to spend some time fixing the drone, and if the fix is beyond your ability, take it to a hobby shop. Usually there are experts that can fix your mini drone.
- Buy extra parts. Having extra batteries and extra props is very helpful when you first start flying mini drones. This will help you when you deal with crashes and the batteries dying. Some models even have “crash packs”. Purchase these, as it will save you some money over the long term with repairs.
Some Things To Consider When Buying A Mini Drone Or Nano Quadcopter
It may feel a bit overwhelming, but the key is knowing what you want to do with the drone. Some folks may enjoy taking pictures, while others are interested in impressing with their flight skills.
The biggest key is your budget. Include not just the price of the drone but also the price for parts. You may have to select a drone that doesn’t have as many features just so you can have the spare parts.
If you live near a hobby store, you could get away with not buying as much in terms of spare parts. Still, it is important to get batteries and extra props.
The more sensitive the controls are, the less kid-friendly they are. You want controls that are not as sensitive when you are working on mini drones for kids.
FAA Regulations Related To Mini Drones
There is a lot to think about when you decide to purchase a mini done. One of the most important things to consider is the flight requirements.
Check with the FAA and your local authorities to see exactly where you can fly. If, for example, you fly your mini drone near an airport, there can be some very serious penalties. Once you understand where you can fly your mini drone, this will keep you on the right side of the law and increase enjoyment and safety.
While not part of FAA regulations, you should never fly your gadget over others’ private residences and property. This could be an invasion of privacy, and there could be criminal implications depending on the municipality in which you live.
Crashes are a part of drone flight. If a crash is severe enough, then a warranty can serve as a way to replace the machine at little to no cost. If you are purchasing one of the more expensive mini drone options with the cameras, then a warranty is something you should definitely consider.
If the plan is to use your mini drone with your kids, then getting one with a warranty is a very good idea as well. It is inevitable that kids will crash the drone, and all sorts of things will happen. This is part of the learning process.
Taking out a warranty is a great way to guard against all the different things that could adversely affect the drone.
There is a lot of fun to be had when flying mini drones, regardless of whether you do it on your own or with your family and kids. Though mini drones are not as expensive as the larger drones, there is no disputing that the level of enjoyment is equal. Once you take your mini drone out into the world, you’ll be amazed at the fun of flying and seeing the world in a completely different way.
Last update on 2020-10-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API