After the wide-spread fame of the Self Balancing Scooters or “Hoverboards”, a lot of people actually started complaining of the batteries getting short-circuited, and while at first, it seemed like an isolated issue…
but then it became really common in an awful lot of hoverboards.
By early 2017, things got so out of hand that the CPSC announced an Official recall of the Hoverboards. CPSC is basically the Consumer Product Safety Commission of United States.
The recall basically meant over half a million hoverboard units going back until they are fixed and sent back. This recall was for the 8 main and famous manufacturers, and the combined number of 15 different models were affected.
While it didn’t seem like a big deal, the property damage that occurred because of the hoverboards ended up reaching $2 million in property damage.
Best Self-Balancing Scooters/Hoverboards 2017
The hoverboards that are now present in the market come with a message that these are safe, and can be used without any issues.
For an average consumer, finding the best hoverboard in the market can be a bit difficult, considering how famous and popular the hoverboards have become. To address that issue, we are going to talk about the best electric hoverboards that currently available in the market. These hoverboards are available from different companies and have different models in order to keep the customers satisfied.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at all the amazing best hoverboards 2017.
|Hoverboard Name||Max Speed||Battery Life||Bluetooth|
|8.5 mph||3 Hours||No|
|Segway miniPRO||10 mph||3 Hours||Yes|
|PowerBoard Self-Balancing Scooter||6.5 mph||4 Hours||No|
|Street Saw||11 mph||5 Hours||Optional|
|SwagTron T3||8.5 mph||3 Hours||Yes|
|Razor Hovertrax 2.0||8 mph||2 Hours||No|
|Jetson V6||10 mph||2 Hours||Yes|
|Hoverzon S||8 mph||4 Hours||No|
|Skque Electric Hoverboards||6.2 mph||3.5 Hours||Optional|
|Jetson Rover||8 mph||3 Hours||Yes|
We have been told that choosing the right hoverboard has been a difficult task, mainly because of the wide variety of options available in market as well as the early controversy surrounding these hoverboards, but we can assure you that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the hoverboards that are currently in the market, and if you are still having some doubts, make sure you through this entire list, an in addition to that, check out the definition and pretty much everything about the UL2722 certification you can find.
Needless to say, you won’t be having second thoughts anymore.
1. SwagTron T1 – Best Hoverboard to Buy in 2017
The first self-balancing scooter we are going to look at today is the Swagtron T1, and for those who don’t know, Swagtron happens to be one of the leading brands in the hoverboard business, and actually have a lot of different models under their belt.
The T1 can be considered as a high-end model because it does feature some of the best things you will need in hoverboard.
Now this is a UL2272 certified hoverboard, and in case you didn’t know, the UL2272 certification basically means that it is completely safe from any battery issues that resulted in the fire controversy that happened back in China when the hoverboard first became available.
To get this certification, every hoverboard of this model or every hoverboard going for this certification is put under a number of tests in order to determine the safety.
There are several tests performed on a hoverboard in order to make sure everything is in right place. Before we begin, you can read some of the advantages below:
- Comes with UL 2272 certification ensuring maximum satisfaction and security.
- Offers a top speed of 8+ mph that ranges to 12+ miles
- Comes equipped with a 300-watt dual electric scooter motor.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion battery lasts up to 2-3 hours on a single full charge.
- Comes equipped with LED headlights, battery indicators, rubber bumpers, and a lightweight body.
- Swagtron T1 comes with a patented SentryShield battery technology, and also comes with a smart battery management system that monitors and protects the battery.
Overall, speaking from a personal point of view, the Swagtron T1 happens to be one of the most comfortable, and most amazing hoverboards you can currently buy.
As for the Swagtron T1, it’s a perfectly capable hoverboard that offers amazing value for money, smooth riding, lightweight design, and a value for your money. Needless to say, it certainly is a top pick.
2. Segway miniPRO – Self-Balancing Transporter with Mobile Application
The next up we have something super premium for you, for those who want to go all out with their money and buy the best of both worlds. Seriously, though, one look at the Segway miniPRO and you realize that you absolutely want this beast of a hoverboard.
Much like Swagtron, Segway also happens to be a leading manufacturer in the business of hoverboards, however, their miniPRO is a lot different than your usual, run off the mill hoverboards, and that is something for the good.
It packs a lot of features that will suit the needs the advanced and power users. The hoverboard itself is available in 2 colors; the black, and white color and both have red accents on them. In addition to the color, the hoverboard also comes with a handle, something a lot of people would like.
As per the norm, let’s take a look at the advantages of the Segway miniPRO.
- The Segway miniPRO can be connected to your phone using the Bluetooth and the free app that is available. You can then use the app for features such as; remote control operation, anti-theft alarm, speed control, customizable lights, vehicle diagnostics, and firmware updates
- Much like the Swagtron T1, the Segway miniPRO also offers UL2272; this means that your hoverboard is rated with the highest possible safety.
- The hoverboard can handle a payload of up to 220 lbs, the overall exoskeleton is light-weight, and made out of durable aircraft-grade magnesium alloy. The hoverboard also offers10.5-Inch pneumatic air-filled tires that are capable of delivering military grade shock absorption to the user.
- The hoverboard is equipped with a dual motor engine that is capable of delivering 1600 watts of power all of this makes the hoverboard capable of reaching 10 MPH and distance of 14 miles when charged fully, though the numbers may vary on different terrains.
- There is a padded knee bar in order to provide maximum comfort along with the ability to give precision steering for better control than hoverboards that are dependent on foot-pivot steering.
To be very honest, apart from the price tag, there isn’t anything wrong with Segway miniPRO.
Yes, it’s going to cost you a lot of money, but looking at the construction, and the sheer quality of construction of this bad boy, you’re left wondering whether or not this is a transformer in hiding. Needless to say, the Segway miniPRO is one of the best self-balancing scooters you can buy.
3. PowerBoard Scooter – Most Affordable Hoverboard in this List
The next up, we are going to look at the PowerBoard Self-Balancing Scooter, now you may wonder that there are no extended, fancy model numbers involved here so this would be an ordinary scooter, but don’t let the name fool you.
PowerBoard is one of the most renowned brands when it comes to hoverboards, and this one’s no different.
Before we start getting into the details, you should know that this is one of the more affordable hoverboards out in the market, but we are glad that even the budget oriented price tag didn’t put it in any risks with the specs, or certifications. Obviously, you won’t be getting the fancy features that were available in the Segway miniPRO but that’s okay because this one is half the price.
Again, like we are doing with every other hoverboard in the list, we are going to the same thing with the PowerBoard and go over the pros of this budget friendly.
- As per the requirement of the US government, and the safety standards, the hoverboard does, in fact, come with a UL2722 certification, this means that there is the complete guarantee that this hoverboard won’t overheat, will have the battery short circuit, or spontaneously catch fire.
- Considering how the company is based in the USA, most orders are processed on the same day, and the shipment takes really quickly. Something really beneficial for people who are impatient with their shipments.
- Despite the budget oriented factor, the hoverboard manages to offer one of the best speeds that can reach 10 km/h.
- The entire riding experience of the hoverboard manage to remain smooth and simple; turning it around the corners even at max speeds was an easy job.
- For those who want, the hoverboard ships with a generous warranty of 1 year, in addition to that, the company offers one of the best customer service support you can ask for. Absolutely no complaints there.
With so much to offer at such an amazing price, one would wonder whether or not the price is justified, or the features are enough. Sure, they may not be enough when you are comparing them to other higher priced models, but in the same price range, nothing can be better than the amazing PowerBoard Self-Balancing Scooter. It is something that will not break your bank and will offer you enough to have fun without any issues.
4. Street Saw – Fastest Hoverboard 2017 (Up to 11 mph)
Still, for those who are interested in knowing the actual name/model of the hoverboard, you should know that it goes by the name DailySaw 6.5 Inch hoverboard. We guess people just lost interest in generic name scheming. Moving on from the name scheming, the hoverboard actually looks like your usual, standard hoverboard, though if you want, you can get it in variety of different colours starting all the way from simple black, to weirdly named tickle me pink; you should also know that the hoverboard is actually really good and capable.
So, without wasting any more time, let’s get into the details and the pros.
- The hoverboard comes with 2 front facing LED lights that are powerful enough to throw light at least 6.5 feet away from the hoverboard, this is really good for the user as it allows them to see the obstacles that lie ahead of them. This is actually useful for people who are coming towards you.
- The hoverboard ships with either battery from either Samsung or LG. The batteries are extremely efficient and can have the hoverboard last 5-6 hours without any issues. However, you should keep in mind that the actual battery endurance depends on the usage.
- Much like almost every other hoverboard, this one also comes with the UL2722 certification meaning that the hoverboard is completely safe against all the damages and issues that were found in the early batches.
Apart from some of the very prominent features, the hoverboard also features 6.5-inch tires that are lightweight and makes for the perfect traveling tires, with that said, you should also know that the overall weight of the chassis is lightweight so you won’t be facing any issues.
5. SwagTron T3 – Expensive yet AWESOME
Yes, the SwagTron T3 is the upgraded model of the T1, and it’s better than ever. What has changed? Well, compared to the T1, not much has changed in the design department but you do get features such as LED lights, Bluetooth speakers that can sync with your phone, and some additional features. Early rumors suggested that there will be a handle involved as well, but it seems like there isn’t one.
So, is the SwagTron T3 a worthy upgrade over the T1? Well, let’s find out.
- The hoverboard comes with the much needed UL 2272 certification that ensures that the hoverboard won’t spontaneously combust. The hoverboard itself has gone through the extensive safety tests that are deemed necessary by the government.
- The hoverboard offers a maximum speed of 8+ mph and has a range of 7-12 miles, completely dependent on the users.
- There are two 300-watt motors that are used in some of the high-ends electric scooters.
- The lithium ion battery back that powers the hoverboard can be charged in 2 to 3-hour maximum and doesn’t heat up at all.
- The hoverboard also has a built-in Bluetooth speaker that can seamlessly sync with your mobile phone, in addition to that, the hoverboard also comes with LED headlights, rubber bumpers, battery indicators, as well as an overall sturdy and light weight shell.
- Much like the SwagTron T1, the T3 also come with the patented SentryShield technology as well intelligent battery management that ensures the hoverboard operates safely without any issues.
While on paper, the SwagTron T3 may not be the fastest, most advanced hoverboard in the market, but it’s the features like the SentrySheid technology as well as the price to performance that makes this a worthy purchase. For those who are wondering if this is better than the T1, well, that’s just subjective. It does have some features that are obviously missing from the T1, but whether or not you’ll be needing them is completely up to you.
6. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 – The Smartest Hoverboard 2017
The next hoverboard on our list can be considered special because the company itself claims that this is the world’s smartest hoverboard in the market, and while the claim does seem ambitious enough, you are left but wondering what exactly is there in the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 that makes it the smartest hoverboard to step into the market.
Well, don’t worry, you are not the only one who is looking to uncover the truth as we are going take a proper in-depth look at just how good the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is.
Let’s get right into the review, and find out some of the good things, shall we?
- Considering some of the early incidents surrounding the hoverboards, every hoverboard now requires a UL2272 certification. This certification means that the hoverboard is actually fitting on all the safety instructions that are given by the government and will not spontaneously catch fire or have its batteries short circuit.
- The Razor Hovertrox 2.0 offers an impressive cruising speed of 8+ mph and comes with dual 350-watt motors that are both silent and efficient.
- The Hovertrox 2.0 is capable of running up to 60 minutes on a full charge, and while the duration isn’t the best, it’s still commendable. However, you should keep in mind that the riders weight will also matter and will be put into consideration when measuring the total run time.
- The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 comes with LG battery, the good thing about this hoverboard is that the batteries can be easily changed, so even if you run out of them while you are out and about, you can change them without any hassle and continue having a phone. For those who are willing to know some technical specifications, these batteries are 36V and are made by LG.
- This is where the things get interesting, the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 comes with Razor’s own EverBalance technology. Through this technology, the hoverboard can actually level itself, and while it may seem like a gimmick, it allows the user to easily stand on it, and ride it when ready.
- Last but not the least, the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 comes with features such as blue LED light bar display, fender bumpers, LED battery power indicator, as well as two entirely different riding modes that are suitable for beginners as well as advanced users.
While we won’t award the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 any groundbreaking awards, the fact that it is one of the most feature packed and one of the best hoverboards in the market can’t be denied, it certainly doesn’t come cheap, but it’s definitely amazing, ad neck to neck with a lot of other hoverboards that are priced in the same category.
Can Razor Hovertrox 2.0 target them and still be a worthy purchase? Definitely.
7. Jetson V6 – Beginners Friendly HoverBoard
The next hoverboard on our list is a Jetson V6, and for those who are interesting in buying this particular model should know that this particular hoverboard is exclusive to Target only. Still, despite the exclusivity, it doesn’t mean that the Jetson V6 isn’t a worthy hoverboard to buy.
For starters, it is one of the best on the market right now and features some of the finest features. You should also know that the Jetson V6 hoverboard has the entire frame made out of steel and not aluminum that is the common material used in almost every hoverboard you get to see these days. With that said, the Jetson V6 also offers a lot of other options as well.
Now let’s take a look at some of the reasons why the Jetson V6 made it into the list.
- The Jetson V6 hoverboard offers a top speed of 10 miles per hour and has an impressive range of 15 miles.
- The hoverboard can easily be charged in about 2 hours.
- Comes equipped with two 350w motors, and has two 8 inch wheels.
- Comes with the UL2722 certification that ensures that the hoverboard is safe from all the flaming and smoking issues that were reported.
- The hoverboard also has an app that can be downloaded on iOS and Android; the app lets you control several aspects of the hoverboard including the speed as well as the sensitivity.
- Has additional features like Bluetooth 4.0 speakers as well as LED lights in order to add that extra bling and value.
With all things considered, there’s no denying that the Jetson V6 is a capable hoverboard and a really good at that. However, we just have 1 small issue; the Target exclusivity is something that may put some people off, simply because they prefer some other retailers.
Overlook that, and you’ve got yourself one of the best hoverboards with amazing features as well as quality.
8. Hoverzon S – Self Balancing Scooter
However, if you think you want to go a bit further, you can always look at examples such as the Segway miniPRO but do keep in mind that the price on that hoverboard is nearly the double of the standard issue hoverboards. Today, we are going to look at the Hoverzon S; on close inspection, it can easily be said that this particular hoverboard is based on the tried and true, no-nonsense design and features just the right amount of stuff that would be it for the user buying a hoverboard.
As for the price, it is priced same as pretty much every other hoverboard on our list, and that is certainly a good thing because it gives the consumer a lot of options without having the need to stretch their budget. However, the company does claim that there is an “exclusive” feature built right into the hoverboard, and we’ll see whether or not that feature makes it the hoverboard of your choice.
Roll out the advantages, shall we?
- The Hoverzon S features an exclusive ‘aegis armor” that provides a multilayer protection to the battery. Although it may sound gimmicky, but it can actually protect the battery against certain bumps.
- Like all the other hoverboards on our list, this one also comes with the much needed UL2272 certification, meaning that the hoverboard is completely safe against issues such as catching fire or getting short-circuited.
- The hoverboard features a fireproof exterior casing as well as the sensor pedals.
- The company claims that the Hoverzon S comes with a top tier motor, as well as a feature such as gear stabilization that is present in the hoverboard in order to provide a very stable, and responsive control.
- The Hoverzon S also features a rather innovative battery management system that can smartly help improve the overall battery performance as well as a top of the line battery management.
- Last but not the least, the Hoverzon S comes with 2 different speed modes that are suitable for either the beginners or the experts the switching between these modes can be done on the fly and it is actually really, really convenient for the beginners.
While there aren’t any improvements in this hoverboard when you compare it with the others, the Aegis armor along with the battery management surely makes it one of the better hoverboards win the market. In addition to that, the hoverboard is available in a total of 6 colors, and all of the colors are priced the same.
Needless to say, you won’t have to pay a bit more just to have a different color.
9. Skque Electric Hoverboards – Affordable yet Custom Printed
The next hoverboard on our list is actually not just one hoverboard but from an entire company, the Skque Electric hoverboards are some of the best hoverboards we have seen on the market, they are different from the rest in a sense that there are a lot of design options available, something that isn’t with a lot of other companies, to begin with. For starters, the Skque Electric hoverboards basically feature 3 standard models that then span across different models that have different, swanky designs.
The hoverboards available in sizes such as 6 inches, 8 inches, and 10 inches. As for the specifications, you should know that all the hoverboards have the same specifications and come with impressive dual 500w motors to keep the hoverboard up and running. Due to their design, the hoverboards are slightly more expensive than the others on the list, considering just how good they are, it’s not a bad thing. With that said, below are our thoughts on the 10-inch model called The Freestyle.
So, without wasting anymore time, let’s take a look.
- The hoverboard comes with a dual 500w motor to provide you with the speed and stability you require.
- Almost all the models ship with a dedicated remote control that will let you control the hoverboard as well as turn it off or on.
- You also get Bluetooth speakers that can easily pair with your phone along with LED lights that are helpful for users riding at night.
- The hoverboard also ships in different wheel sizes starting from 6 inches, 8 inches, and 10 inches.
- Last but not the least, the hoverboard is available in a variety of stylish designs that will suit most people.
So, there you have it, while the Skque electric hoverboards don’t really give you much in the unique feature department, there’s no denying that their funky designs are something that are loved and adored by money.
Yes, the hoverboards do come with the UL2722 certification if you are wondering, and are completely safe in pretty much any environment you can think of.
10. Jetson Rover V8 – This Hoverboard is a Monster
For those who don’t know, this is certainly an upgraded model that was announced last month, and quickly, it has amassed quite a number of followers.
Needless to say, the Jetson V8 is a sure improvement over the V6, but is it worth buying? We are going to find exactly that in this review, but first, let’s talk a little about the hoverboard itself, Jetson actually improved this hoverboard over the original V6 by adding some features such as slightly more powerful motors as well as some design changes that actually look a lot good. While these design changes may not be able to do anything to the practicality and the usage of hoverboard, they sure help the hoverboard stand out.
Without wasting anymore time, we are now going to take a look at all the things that make the Jetson Rover V8 the best self-balancing scooter in the given price tag.
- The Jetson Rover V8 ships with two 8.5 inches, inflatable, all-terrain tires. Now, for those who don’t know, these tires are actually built to be used on pretty much every single terrain there is, so it doesn’t matter whether you are traveling on gravel, smooth surfaces, or even grass, your hoverboard will be with you and will travel without having any issues.
- Much like every other hoverboard on this list, the Jetson Rover V8 also comes with full UL2722 certification, this means that the hoverboard is fully certified and has cleared all the certifications that are put on by the government.
- Another great feature about the Jetson Rover V8 is that it comes with the front as well as rear LEDs that are perfect for both the rider as well as the people who are coming from the front as it will give them a visual cue in order to let them know that there’s someone approaching. While this does sound gimmicky, it’s actually great for people who are out at night with their hoverboards.
- The hoverboard also comes with 3 different modes; learning, standard, and pro mode. These modes configure the hoverboard according to your choice and will give a better suited, and more optimal experience.
- The hoverboard comes with a dedicated app that you can use to control your hoverboard as you please, and while it may sound gimmicky, it still is a useful feature to have.
- Jetson Rover V8 also comes with dual 400w motors that ensure the best possible speeds as well as riding without any issues.
- The Jetson Rover V8 also comes with IP certification making it dust and water resistant.
The really good thing about the Jetson Rover V8 is that instead of focusing on features that don’t matter, it brings in some of the best, practical features that are loved by the people. Needless to say, Jetson Rover V8 has earned a sweet spot in this list just because it’s such an amazing hoverboard with an amazing list of features that will be adored by both standards as well as power users.
Self Balancing Scooter Buyer’s Guide
For those who don’t know, a Self-Balancing Scooter or commonly known as a “Hoverboard” is perhaps one of the most popular technologies right now.
In case you people didn’t know, it’s not as old as some would remember.
The technology behind a Hoverboard?
Before we go into the origins of this strange looking device that has taken the world by storm, let’s take a look into what it exactly is:
A hoverboard is basically a board with one wheel at each end, the board in the middle itself actually serves as a platform for the person to stand on, and for those who don’t know, the board in the middle is basically split into two portions so the rider can easily stand on them.
Now yes, the hoverboard is powered by the rechargeable batteries that go inside it, but a lot of people wonder about the technology that moves them in whatever direction the rider wants them to move; well, this is where the good stuff happens; both portions where a person is supposed to stand are equipped with gyroscopic sensor pads, and if you don’t know what a gyroscopic sensor does, read the definition below:
By standard definition a gyroscope is basically a spinning wheel or a disk, on this wheel, the axis of rotation is actually able to freely move in any direction or orientation it wants. While the movement is happening, the axis of rotation will remain unaffected even if the whole apparatus is moved or tilted.
The Origin of Self Balancing Scooter
The first sighting of hoverboards started in China in 2014, and soon after that, the device started getting increasingly popular in 2015.
The craze and the hype were so intense that celebrities of all sorts of type started endorsing these hoverboards, and they soon exploded into the mainstream all over the word.
However, the interesting bit is that there is no universally accepted name of these hoverboards, and most of the names you will be seeing on this list are basically based on some of the attributes that are given to them by the companies that distribute them instead of manufacturing them.